Fresh Hope Counselling is here to help when it comes to anxiety therapy and treatment.
Anxiety is having too much fear or worry. Having occasional anxiety is part of normal life. You might feel anxious when taking a test, going through a transition or facing a medical diagnosis. Anxiety disorders involve more than temporary worry or fear. For a person with an anxiety disorder, the anxiety does not go away and can get worse over time. These feelings can interfere with daily activities such as job performance, school work, and relationships.
The most common forms are:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (free floating anxiety that doesn’t seem to have a trigger)
- Social Anxiety/social phobia (anxiety that increases when facing a social setting)
- Panic Disorder — panic attacks
Anxiety disorders are treatable. Cognitive behavioural therapy, skills training and relaxation techniques are often effective in managing anxiety.
A Dozen Signs You Might Have an Anxiety Disorder:
- Excessive worry: worrying too much about numerous things during the day
- Sleep disruption – having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or frequent waking
- Irrational fears – these are specific to something, e.g. fear of heights or spiders; phobias
- Muscle tension
- Frequent digestive issues and chronic indigestion
- Stage fright/fear of speaking in front of others
- Flashbacks of traumatic or terrifying experiences
- Panic and possible panic attacks.
- Panic attacks can feel like a heart attack and involve things like having trouble breathing, tightness or pain in the chest, feelings of fear or terror, sweating, weakness or dizziness
- Perfectionism — having unrealistic expectations and standards for oneself
- Compulsive behaviours — feeling pressured to do repetitive behaviours in an attempt to relieve the anxiety
- Persistent self-doubt and second-guessing
When do you seek professional help?
When anxiety is interrupting your ability to live a happy life, it may be time to get help. Anxiety does not have to cause you to miss out on special events, intimate relationships, time with friends and important opportunities and events.
You don’t have to live a life with uncontrolled anxiety. Anxiety disorders can be treated and managed. Therapy and when indicated, medication, prescribed by your Medical Doctor or Psychiatrist, offer effective treatment for all forms of anxiety disorders.
Contact Fresh Hope Counselling today and get started on your road to recovery. Anxiety doesn’t need to hold you hostage any longer.
Contact us today
Content copyright 2016. Fresh Hope Counselling. All rights reserved.